Wellington North Badminton continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely and is following the Ministry of Health’s advice in consultation with local authorities and other stakeholders including Badminton New Zealand. To check for the latest updates, refer to Ministry of Health‘s website and the new dedicated website for COVID-19.
Badminton New Zealand has suspended all Badminton New Zealand led events and programmes from Monday 23 March to Monday 27 April 2020 with continuous review.
Due to the size of our facility, we are not expected to exceed the current guideline (100 people) provided by Ministry of Health regarding indoor gatherings. Therefore, Wellington North Badminton will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving situation and deliver its own programmes and events as business as usual, with added precautions.
Here’s what we’re doing:
- Having the Wellington North Badminton Stadium’s high traffic areas cleaned more frequently both by our professional cleaners and staff.
- Ensuring all contact details of participants accessing Wellington North Badminton events/programmes are clearly identified.
- Minimising participation numbers during sanctioned Wellington North Badminton events/programmes (less than 100 persons) by restricting facility access to essential (and known) participants (eg. players, coaches, match officials, staff and volunteers involved in operations and parents/guardians of participants).
- Wellington North Badminton staff to provide event/programme participants with constant reminders of best hygiene practices (especially washing hands and social distancing).
- Providing Wellington North Badminton event/programme participants with an opportunity to withdraw from any activity at their personal discretion.
In summary, all of our Shuttle Time Programmes (Bronze, Silver and Junior Club), Team WN training, and clubs will continue to operate as business as usual at this time. Clubs’ management has been strongly advise that serious consideration is taken, including ensuring that all Clubs and/or Playing Groups update their databases as a priority to capture contact details of every Member AND Visitor who participates club sessions. Most importantly, organisations, clubs and individuals can elect to participate or not to participate in any activity at their personal discretion/risk.
A reminder that the following people should not attend Wellington North Badminton events, programmes and facilities:
- Anyone who is feeling unwell;
- Anyone who has been in contact with a confirmed/suspected case of COVID-19;
- Anyone who has been outside of New Zealand in the preceding 14 days.
Fundamental to this is to wash our hands BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER a session and maintain social distancing between all participants. We understand this is more difficult for children but please encourage everyone to follow these best practices:
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth (as hands touch many surfaces which can be contaminated).
- When coughing/sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with a flexed elbow or tissue (discard tissue immediately into a closed bin and clean your hands with soap and water).
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly (at least 20 seconds on every part of the hand). Use soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub even if your hands are not visibly dirty.
- Maintain social distancing (at least 1 metre/3 feet distance between yourself and other people if possible). Instead of handshaking/high fives, try other alternative, safe and fun ways to acknowledge friendship and celebration without physical contact.
We thank you for your understanding during this challenging time. We will stay in touch and be in contact with further updates as new information comes to hand. It is important that you all look after your physical and mental well being at this time. If you have any concerns about your health or others, please ensure you immediately inform Wellington North Badminton Staff (if you’re in our stadium), seek advice from a suitably qualified medical professional or contact Healthline at 0800 358 5453.
Thank you for your cooperation and feel free to leave us a comment below if you have any questions.